Unnatural Death by Patricia Cornwell

Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series has consistently been one of my preferred choices for crime fiction reading. Her skillful integration of captivating mysteries, empathetic characters, and forensic science has kept the series relevant for decades. Although Cornwell took a brief hiatus from Scarpetta, she reintroduced the character with a soft reboot in 2021. Now, she returns with the 27th Scarpetta novel, Unnatural Death. As a devoted fan of the series, I eagerly embraced the opportunity to receive a copy of the novel from Cornwell's publisher. True to its predecessors, this latest installment retains all the familiar elements fans adore while introducing new twists bound to captivate even the most seasoned mystery enthusiasts.

Kay Scarpetta faces an ongoing battle to maintain order in her role as Chief Medical Examiner for the state of Virginia. Unanticipated challenges arise from the loyalists to her predecessor, who are determined to complicate her life. The situation is exacerbated by severe budget cuts, making the procurement of basic supplies nearly impossible and pushing Kay to the edge. The story unfolds as she boards a helicopter with her CIA niece, Lucy, bound for a remote location where two deaths have occurred, unleashing a myriad of questions and confusion.

Upon arriving at the scene, two bodies are discovered—one male and one female. The gruesome sight is not for the faint of heart, with the man's body appearing to have been torn apart before being discarded in an abandoned mine shaft. At the same time, the woman's remains float in a nearby lake, becoming prey for the creatures inhabiting it. The question looms: is this the work of a deranged killer, or have the creatures of the wilderness reclaimed their territory? As Kay grapples with this horrific scene, her longtime investigative partner, Marino, presents an even more perplexing discovery—a cast of a human-like footprint, seemingly too large for a man. Convinced it proves the existence of the legendary sasquatch, Marino faces skepticism from everyone else at the scene. Despite her doubts, Kay must utilize all her skills to unravel the mysteries of this unsettling sight.

The 27th book in the series introduces readers to another perplexing mystery. The narrative takes a while to gain momentum, with Cornwell dedicating the initial third of the novel to catching readers up on Kay's professional and personal life. While longtime series fans may appreciate these updates, first-time readers might find the opening a bit slow. However, the beginning's political intrigue and personal challenges soon lead to a mystery that taps into current events and paranoia that thoroughly hooked me. In addition to the detailed exploration of the victims' causes of death, Cornwell introduces lingering uncertainties about the possible existence of a mythical creature at the crime scene. Kay and Marino become entangled in a conspiracy that forces them and the readers to question everything they encounter. This creates a suspenseful narrative that held my interest throughout. Unnatural Death delivers all the elements I expect from Cornwell's series and lays the groundwork for even more compelling adventures in future books.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 83)


This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

14 Responses to “Unnatural Death by Patricia Cornwell”

  1. Great review, Ethan. I don't think I have ever read her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed most of the middle of her output, but it has been fun diving into the character again.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a good one for me to jump back into this series! It's been awhile since I've read a Kay Scarpetta mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 27th book? Wow, that's a long running series and I can see why because this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed at these long running crime series. The good ones are usually worthy of all the installments, and this one certainly fits that bill.

      Delete
  4. I've been enjoying the reboot! I didn't request this one figuring I could get a library audio instead. I put my request in when your review (on Instagram) reminded me, yesterday. Glad you enjoyed the story, Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it too! I can't wait to hear what you think about it when your hold comes through!

      Delete
  5. I won't lie, I didn't expect sasquatch to be mentioned. This sounds like quite a complex and well plotted story. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes a bit out of left field in the story too, but it adds a unique element to the whole thing.

      Delete
  6. I am off to the library to look for book one. You've made me feel as if I am missing out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! I'm very curious as to how it will hold up!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.