The Christmas Guest by Peter Swanson

What is your favorite holiday tradition? For me, decorating, enjoying festive music, and savoring delicious holiday dishes are a few of my most cherished traditions, ones that I absolutely must partake in every year to capture that true Christmas spirit. Recently, I've developed a deep affection for reading holiday-themed books. They provide me with a means to momentarily escape the hustle and bustle of the season, offering a quiet sanctuary amidst the joyful chaos. I savor the opportunity to carve out some personal time each year, immersing myself in the enchantment of a holiday-themed read. This year, I was thrilled to discover that Peter Swanson, one of my favorite thriller authors, had published a short Christmas novella. Naturally, I set aside some time to sit down and immerse myself in it.

The book's beginning unfolds with the charming setup of a Hallmark holiday movie. Ashley Smith, a college student initially planning to spend Christmas in solitude, receives an invitation from her friend Emma Chapman to join the Chapman family at their country residence, Starvewood Hall. The grandeur of Starvewood Hall, adorned with pine boughs and bustling with Christmas week guests, epitomizes a fantasy Christmas setting. Ashley finds herself captivated by the warm, firelit atmosphere of the house, the lively family, and the picturesque village of Clevemoor. Her heart flutters even more at the sight of Adam Chapman, Emma's enigmatic and handsome brother, hinting at the possibility of a romantic fairy tale Christmas.

The enchanting scene takes an unexpected twist as Adam becomes the subject of a local police investigation into the recent brutal murder of a village girl. In the world of Peter Swanson's thriller, one can't help but expect the unexpected! Toss in an enigmatic stranger who lurks along the woodland path between Starvewood Hall and the local pub, and an air of mystery begins to overshadow the idyllic romance that Ashley initially envisioned. Will this Christmas prove to be a dream or a nightmare? The answers lie within the pages, waiting to be discovered.

I've always had a soft spot for Christmas stories that bring an element of mystery or darkness into the mix. The tale of Scrooge and his encounters with ghosts always captivated me more than the typical joyful and heartwarming narratives that define the holiday season. Peter Swanson's The Christmas Guest is an intriguing departure from the norm. It cleverly straddles the line between wish-fulfillment fantasy and murder mystery, blending these two contrasting elements in a way that keeps readers on their toes.

Spanning under 100 pages, this novella is designed to be devoured in a single sitting. While it may not allow for extensive character development or the intricate twists characteristic of Swanson's longer works, it is a perfect diversional read amid the bustling holiday season.  I recommend trying it as you cozy up by the fireplace with a cup of cocoa in hand. It's a snug and manageable read that I easily devoured in one go.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2023, 88)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2023 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

8 Responses to “The Christmas Guest by Peter Swanson”

  1. This one does sound like a fun holiday read. And short is good this time of year. Things get so busy! I love watching my favorite Christmas movies in December, driving around to see all the Christmas lights, putting up the tree, and baking Christmas cookies/treats. (Though that last one might not happen this year due to tiredness.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate to the tiredness this time of year! I've been watching movies and looking at all the lights in the surrounding neighborhoods too.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it starts out the way I like my holiday reads, but as you said, takes quite a turn. A Christmas Carol may have some of those darker elements, but was ultimately uplifting. Does that happen here? And as for holiday traditions, we only get my grandmother's delicious German food once a year. My father and daughter now prepare my Oma and Tante's recipes. The best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely associate specific recipes with the holidays too. I love that your family continues to cook them! This one isn't quite as uplifting as Dickens.

      Delete
  3. This did take a darker turn by the end! A little disturbing, but a page-turner for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. And I see that you've just listened to Christmas Presents too. We seem to be on the same reads right now!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.