The Nature of Disappearing by Kimi Cunningham Grant

There’s something incredibly liberating about being surrounded by nature. Immersing myself in the unspoiled wilderness, far from the stresses of daily life, is my ultimate escape. I find complete peace in those moments, allowing myself to truly relax and be present. Despite being a place of solace, the wilderness can also be unforgiving. In her latest novel, The Nature of Disappearing, author Kimi Cunningham Grant uses the vast wilderness to craft a tale that highlights its serenity and harshness. I’ve been eager to read her work since her previous novel, These Silent Woods, caught my attention a couple of years ago. Thanks to her publisher’s generosity, I had the opportunity to read and listen to her newest creation.

Emlyn knows firsthand the healing power of nature. A few years ago, she hit rock bottom. Her best friend Janessa couldn’t accept Emlyn dating Tyler, especially after she warned her against the relationship. But Emlyn was in love and wouldn’t let her friend’s opinion stop her. Unfortunately, Janessa was right. Three years ago, Tyler left Emlyn stranded on the side of the road in the freezing cold, half dead. Now, Emlyn has found peace working as a fishing and hunting guide, spending her days in Idaho’s endless woods and scenic rivers. 

Her serene life is upended when Tyler reappears. Janessa, now a social media star with her survivalist boyfriend, has gone missing, and Tyler fears the worst. Despite their turbulent past, Emlyn realizes her tracking skills could be vital in finding her friend. Reluctantly, she teams up with Tyler to navigate the rugged terrain. Emlyn can’t ignore the lingering sparks between them as they trek through the wilderness. Though she hadn’t anticipated a reconciliation, the undeniable connection remains. As they travel deeper into the forest, Emlyn is gripped by a new sensation - unease. In her mission to rescue her friend, she may have inadvertently placed herself in danger.

In The Nature of Disappearing, Kimi Cunningham Grant crafts a multifaceted narrative that seamlessly weaves elements of a gripping missing persons saga, an exploration of complex relationships, and a contemplative meditation on the wilderness’s profound influence. Grant’s vivid descriptions instantly transport readers to the sprawling Idaho wilderness, imbuing the story with a palpable sense of grandeur and atmosphere. Against this vast backdrop, the intimate drama of the characters unfolds, adding layers of depth to the narrative. The search for the missing couple, led by Emlyn and Tyler, serves as the primary driving force of the plot, gradually unveiling the intricacies of their intertwined past and relationships. While the story maintains a compelling momentum, there is a slight lull in the third act, where the sense of revelation momentarily stagnates. However, this minor flaw doesn’t detract from the overall buildup, as Grant’s skillful storytelling and well-developed characters remain engaging throughout. Whether experienced through reading or listening to the beautiful audiobook version, The Nature of Disappearing captivates with its atmospheric prose and thought-provoking themes. It is a summer read that entertains and invites deeper reflection—a winning combination that leaves a lasting impression.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 47)

This entry was posted on Monday, June 17, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

21 Responses to “The Nature of Disappearing by Kimi Cunningham Grant”

  1. This has so many elements I enjoy. Wonderful review Ethan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great review. Other than the slight stagnation in the third act, it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The atmosphere and setting really makes this one a standout.

      Delete
  3. He left her for dead and there are sparks? I don't know how I feel about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? She's more driven by the need to find her friend than anything, but the lingering feelings were a surprise for her and for this reader haha

      Delete
  4. My first thought is: why in the world would she team up with a guy who left her for dead? There would have to be an incredible explanation for that, otherwise I would have a hard time moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she isn't happy about teaming up with him, but they share the goal of finding their friend, which kind of forces them back together.

      Delete
  5. I love nature, but nature can also be dark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so. It makes for a great setting for this mystery.

      Delete
  6. So happy to see you enjoyed this one, too! I loved the beautiful backdrop describing brilliantly by Grant! I was rooting for Emlyn to find peace and closure, but also hoping Emlyn hadn't made a mistake that would cost her life! I wasn't sure of anything until the end. I'm pleased at how it all turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The setting adds so much to the story, and I was pleased with how everything came together.

      Delete
  7. "It is a summer read that entertains and invites deeper reflection"
    Interesting combo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best combo! I need entertainment, but I want it to be clever.

      Delete
  8. Both you and Rachel seemed to really like this one. And you know I love that wilderness setting! I still have Grant's previous novel on my TBR list. Sounds like I need to read this one, too. Great review, Ethan! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to work my way back to These Silent Woods now.

      Delete
  9. Great review, Ethan! This sounds really intriguing. Plus, I love this kind of setting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah nice review. I'm wondering if Tyler is trustable ... or why she had a falling out with Janessa. But mostly the setting will lure me. yay. (I liked her first book.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting alone is worth the price of admission!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much! I really liked THESE SILENT WOODS by Grant, but this one was a bit of a disappointment for me. There wasn't enough tension and conflict and the characters felt flat. I didn't end up loving it. I'm glad you did, though!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.