One Big Happy Family by Jaime Day

It seems fitting that my latest read features the threat of a hurricane barreling toward the setting of this thriller. This week, I’ve been working on returning to normal after Hurricane Beryl disrupted everything. I much prefer reading about hurricanes than living through them! Jaime Day’s latest thriller, One Big Happy Family, provided a welcome escape from the stress of returning to work while dealing with the hurricane’s aftermath. This was my first book by the author, so I had no preconceived notions going in, and I think that’s the best way to approach this one.

Charley is doing her best to keep everything together. At nineteen, it feels like the weight of the world is on her shoulders. With her mother out of the picture due to a life of addictions and a series of bad romantic partners, Charley is left to care for her maternal grandmother, who is slowly succumbing to dementia. Struggling to afford her grandmother's space at an elder care facility and facing a rent increase, Charley is under immense pressure. To make ends meet, she works as a maid at The Precipice, an eccentric family-owned hotel on the rocky coast of Maine. The family patriarch has just died, leaving the future of the hotel uncertain.

With a hurricane threatening to land near the property's coast, most of the rooms are vacant. Charley decides to allow Bree, a stranger in need, to stay at the hotel for free as she tries to evade her abusive boyfriend. She knows this act could get her fired, but she believes in helping someone in need, hoping for some help in return.

The entire Bishop family is descending upon the hotel for the reading of their father's last will and testament. The Bishop sisters, Iris, Vicki, and Faith, are each driven by their own selfish motivations, and each sister wants their fair share of the family fortune. As the storm begins to overtake The Precipice, tensions build to a breaking point. The will is read, and someone ends up dead. Is it the result of a horrific accident or something more sinister? Cut off from the rest of the world amidst the raging winds of the storm, it will be up to the staff and family to uncover secrets and make it out of the hotel alive. 

One Big Happy Family sees Jaimy Day craft a soap opera of family drama packed with twists and turns. The story employs a kitchen-sink approach, throwing in every possible thriller trope, including family secrets, murder, money, and even a touch of the occult. Typically, this wouldn't be my cup of tea. Only some elements work in this story. Many plot points fail to reach a satisfying conclusion, the red herrings are often glaringly obvious, and none of the characters are particularly likable. Still, I'd be lying if I said I could pull myself away from all the over-the-top drama. The book reads like one of those trashy reality shows that you're embarrassed to admit you watch. One Big Happy Family isn't the best thriller I've ever read, but it doesn't try to be. It's silly, twisty, fun, and perfect for some light summer reading.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 54)

This entry was posted on Friday, July 19, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

14 Responses to “One Big Happy Family by Jaime Day”

  1. Yes, I'd imagine reading about a hurricane would be preferable to going through one in real life! I hope you don't have any more come your way, Ethan! I don't watch reality TV, wouldn't click on it by choice, but my daughter and her friend used to watch them at home when they were teenagers (The Hills, Teen Mom and The Jersey Shore) and they were awful, but I couldn't help but get dragged into watching sometimes! Like a train wreck you can't look away from, lol! This sounds kind of like that, but maybe more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is just a bit crazy and over the top. Not my favorite, but still kind of fun.

      Delete
  2. Yes I will admit I watch those for the drama at times. Sometimes you just need it to go all whaaat?! So this could be fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crazy shocks are definitely present in this one

      Delete
  3. I agree, much better to read about natural disasters than to experience them first hand. Glad you made out ok, though. It's amazing how a death in the family can bring out the worst in people where money is involve. Sometimes it really is hard to resist getting out the popcorn and enjoying the drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was here for the drama, even if it was all a bit silly!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad someone found something positive because I hated it, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there's definitely some rough parts, but I could appreciate it for what it is.

      Delete
  5. I hope hurricane Beryl didn't mess things up too bad and you can get back to normal soon. I can imagine that reading about a hurricane reeking havoc after that would be problematic.

    This book sounds like it ended up being good though so that's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the worst of our damage was a downed fence. I was very lucky, especially given that so many of my neighbors were hit much worse.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a true popcorn summer read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What timing with this read! You can't escape hurricanes in life or in fiction. I enjoy a good family drama. This one sounds a bit over the top (especially with an occult aspect thrown into the mix), but it still sounds like a juicy read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this one is a bit much, but still fun for what it is.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.