The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

I'm very late to the party with this one. A.J. Finn's debut novel, The Woman in the Window, took the book world by storm when it was released in 2018. Naturally, it became one of those "must-read" books I procrastinated on until all the hype died down. The author later faced controversy for exaggerating and misstating details of his personal past and credentials. Now that the dust has settled and Finn has released a new novel this year, albeit without the same fanfare as his debut, I decided it was time to finally dive into The Woman in the Window and see what all the fuss was about.

As an agoraphobic, Anna Fox has lived a life of isolation, unable to venture outside her New York City home. She spends her days drinking wine—sometimes a lot of wine—watching classic movies, and reminiscing about the days before her anxiety confined her to her house. And, of course, Anna watches. She watches out the window with intensity, observing the comings and goings of her neighborhood. Some might call it spying, but Anna wouldn't go that far. She's just being observant, as she believes all neighbors should look out for each other. As the days blur together, Anna creates little stories about the people in her neighborhood, drawing inspiration from the classic noir films she consumes daily.

When a new family, the Russells, moves into the house across the street, Anna watches them keenly. She sees the mother, father, and son slowly unpack their belongings and make the home their own. Who are these people? What is their life like? Something terrible happens as she starts to weave fiction about their lives. Anna witnesses something horrific—or does she? The combination of Merlot and prescription pills for her ever-increasing anxiety makes her question everything. What is real, and what is imagined? The truth may be more dangerous than any fiction she could conjure.

The Woman in the Window unfolds just as I expected. A.J. Finn's protagonist perfectly embodies the unreliable narrator, blurring the line between fiction and reality and offering thriller enthusiasts plenty of enigmas to unravel. It reminded me of other thrillers with "Girl/Woman" in the title, such as The Girl on the Train or The Woman in Cabin 10. In those novels, the narrators grapple with personal demons while navigating potentially perilous situations, much like in this book. It is a trope that clearly works for many thriller authors and works just fine here, too. 

While I was intrigued by what Anna may or may not have witnessed, I couldn't help but feel that much of her misfortune was self-inflicted. This is my ongoing issue with unreliable narrator thrillers, and The Woman in the Window falls into many of the same traps. The book is undeniably a page-turner, serving as both a thrilling mystery and an homage to the classic noir films that clearly inspired it. Still, as I reflect on it, I can't say it left a lasting impact on me. It's a twisty, compulsively readable story, but it won't rank among the best thrillers I've ever read.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 55)


This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

18 Responses to “The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn”

  1. I have a hard time reading books that get a lot of hype right away as well. It's not intentional, but unless I am on the ARC team or it's one of my very favorite authors, it takes a while to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are just always more books to read than I have time for. It can be hard to not get caught up in hype, but I rarely get to them until much later

      Delete
  2. Anna sounds a little like me. lol I have agoraphobia and sit inside watching the neighbors and neighborhood too. I missed all the drama behind this author though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy your posts about all the neighborhood craziness!

      Delete
  3. I tend to wait until the hype dies down too. Unless, like Cindy, I have an ARC of the book. I haven't read this one yet, but it sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. If I have a ARC, I feel obligated to get to it

      Delete
  4. I read this one just last year, but I had to keep reading your review before I remembered what it was about. And I liked it at the time, but I guess I didn't find it all that memorable. It kind of makes me wonder what all that hype was about. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I don't think I'll remember this one for very long.

      Delete
  5. I agree, it does sound a bit like The Girl on the Train. I do find myself empathizing with these characters who are grappling with crippling issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that summarizes how I feel about these kinds of stories. They're familiar but effective.

      Delete
  6. I didn't read the book, but I watched the movie with Amy Adams and enjoyed it! Yes, most of the heroine's troubles were self-inflicted, but it had a satisfying conclusion. I doubt I'd ever read the book, though. Didn't hear about the drama with the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been saving the movie until I read the book, so I need to give it a watch!

      Delete
  7. That cover looks so familiar, I wonder if I have seen it at the library

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was VERY popular when it released, so I'm sure you've seen it around!

      Delete
  8. I held off on this one for a long time too, but even if it is just a quick read I will probably pick it up - I'm six books behind on my Goodreads challenge and I need some quick fiction to get me caught up before teacher back to school stuff starts next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be perfect for catching up. I can't believe the school year is already here!

      Delete
  9. They can't all hit it out of the park lol It sounds like a decent read anyway with the twists.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.