Devils Kill Devils by Johnny Compton

As a horror enthusiast, I like to weave in spooky reads throughout the year. With the arrival of Fall, my craving for the genre has intensified. So, I eagerly accepted when the publisher offered me Johnny Compton's Devils Kill Devils as an audiobook. The chilling premise immediately pulled me in, quickly satisfying my appetite for a gripping, terrifying read.

Sarita has always been shielded by a guardian angel, a mysterious presence she calls Angelo, keeping his existence hidden from the world. But even angels can’t remain unseen forever. Lately, Sarita has started to wonder whether Angelo is truly a force for good or something far more sinister. When he takes the life of someone she loves, Sarita is confronted with a chilling reality. To survive, she must confront the darkness lurking within herself and embrace the very evil she’s been trying to escape.

I went into Devils Kill Devils without any expectations, and right from the start, I felt a creeping sense of unease. Johnny Compton has a way of drawing readers in with a deceptively simple narrative, gradually revealing layers of terror that tighten their grip as the story unfolds. Imani Jade Powers’ narration brings Sarita to life, infusing Compton's characters with vivid energy. With the novel set in South Texas, the familiar locations added an extra sense of authenticity for me. While the ending felt a bit grander than the buildup might have warranted, it still delivered a chaotic and genuinely chilling conclusion. Overall, it was an intriguing start to my lineup of spooky reads for the season.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 71)

This entry was posted on Monday, September 30, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

12 Responses to “Devils Kill Devils by Johnny Compton”

  1. Nice to start off autumn with such a chilling read. I love how you describe the narrative as 'gradually revealing layers of terror'. Books that build that kind of threatening tension are so great. I'll have to watch for this one at my library. Hope your next spooky read is just as good if not better. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got so many ARCs that release in October, so it will be a challenge to pepper in some spooky reads. But I'll try to get to as many as I can!

      Delete
  2. I have been curious about this one. It sounds like it would be worth picking up. It is the perfect time of year for these kinds of reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my favorite horror novel, but still a fun time!

      Delete
  3. A chaotic and chilling conclusion. You got me there, that sounds quite different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The end gets a tad messy and overstuffed, but crazy fun nonetheless.

      Delete
  4. Way to kick off the spooky season with a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to start off the spooky season. This sounds like a truly compelling and chilling read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It fumbles the ending a bit, but I was pretty hooked to this one.

      Delete
  6. I love spooky anytime, but more so this time of year! Happy to hear this was a win. I'm very curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of thrillers on the pile this month, but not nearly enough horror. I need more!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.