The Last One at the Wedding by Jason Rekulak

When I read Hidden Pictures around this time last year, Jason Rekulak's fresh spin on classic horror tropes had me hooked. That page-turner left me eager for more of his thrilling stories, and his latest, The Last One at the Wedding, just arrived this week. I was lucky enough to get an audiobook copy from the publisher and dove right in. While this story is quite different from his previous novel, I quickly became just as captivated by it.

Frank and his daughter Maggie hadn’t spoken much since their bitter falling out three years ago. In fact, Frank had resigned himself to the idea that he might never hear from her again, especially considering the circumstances that led to their estrangement. So, when his phone rang unexpectedly one day, and Maggie was on the other end with news of her engagement, Frank was floored. Even more surprising than the call was the invitation that followed—Maggie wanted him to attend her wedding in New Hampshire. Though flooded with questions and emotions, Frank kept his cool, careful not to jeopardize their fragile connection. Could this be the chance to mend their broken relationship?

The surprises don’t stop with Maggie’s phone call. Frank soon discovers that her fiancĂ© is none other than Aiden Gardiner, the son of a tech billionaire. Arriving at the remote, lavish estate where the wedding festivities will unfold, Frank immediately feels out of place. He’s determined to reconnect with his daughter and get to know the family she’s marrying into, but things quickly take a strange turn. Aiden is distant and evasive, Maggie seems too busy to spend time with him, and the locals are unusually hostile toward the Gardiners. Something feels off, and Frank is desperate to figure out what’s really going on. But if he pushes too hard, he could lose Maggie all over again. 

In The Last One at the Wedding, Jason Rekulak shifts gears from supernatural horror to a family drama that brings its own kind of fear. Right from the start, it’s clear that no one is what they seem, and trust is in short supply. What remains hidden, though, is just how deep those secrets go. The suspense and momentum of the novel come from gradually uncovering these hidden truths. John Pirhalla’s narration gently guides the listener through that discovery. 

While I was drawn in by the eerie atmosphere and mysterious circumstances, I found myself conjuring up more intense and thrilling possibilities than what the novel ultimately delivered. It reminded me of watching Jaws. The tension of not seeing the shark was far scarier than when we actually saw it and realized, "Oh, that's just a fake shark!" Similarly, with this novel, the build-up and sense of "what could be" had me on edge, but the final reveal left me feeling like the real threat wasn’t as thrilling as I’d hoped. The suspense kept me going, but in the end, the reality didn’t match the height of my expectations.

For more information, visit the author's website, Amazon, and Goodreads

(2024, 75)

This entry was posted on Friday, October 11, 2024 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

23 Responses to “The Last One at the Wedding by Jason Rekulak”

  1. Your comment about Jaws and oh, it's just a fake shark totally made me laugh because that's what I thought the first time I watched Jaws...of course, I saw it on TV when I was a teen, and never in the theater, so maybe that was why. Sorry the ending of this one didn't deliver like you hoped. Rekulak's Hidden Pictures is the one I really want to read. Great review, Ethan. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, I think Jaws is a great movie, but that shark is pretty terrible haha

      Delete
  2. Family drama and hidden secrets make for a great story and this sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely made for a twisty web of secrets!

      Delete
  3. I deleted my previous comment because I didn't want to leave a spoilery comment on your review. Yes, this was engrossing, but different. Jaws made even swimming in a pool a frightening prospect for years, even with the fake looking shark, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My request is pending for this one. Hope I get it. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I hate when the ending lets us down! It sounds like it was good overall though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one works for the suspense, but it doesn't really build up to anything great. Very mixed.

      Delete
  6. Boo for the build up not matching the outcome but at least it was an entertaining journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it still makes for a quick, twisty read.

      Delete
  7. I thought For sure I had left a comment on this one. Maybe not. lol
    This sounds like it should have been really good. Sorry to hear it didn't meet your expectations though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like your first comment was flagged in my spam folder...just saw it!

      Delete
  8. I'm intrigued by the premise of "The Last One at the Wedding." The family drama and mysterious atmosphere sound like a compelling combination.

    It's interesting that you found the final reveal to be less thrilling than you expected. I'm curious to see if others had a similar experience. I have the same experience in The Red Queen. It was so anticlimactic. And after investing time and money, it was disappointing. But I've heard it's gonna be a movie or series soon, and yes, I'll still watch it. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good build up, and this one definitely has it. But, that buildup has to deliver on something.

      Delete
  9. This sounds different. I too read Hidden Pictures and am not sure about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are fun and twisty, but Hidden Pictures is much better

      Delete
  10. It's a bummer that the ending didn't live up to expectations. I just had that happen to me with a book I recently finished. The buildup to the end was so suspenseful, but it ended up being a bit of a dud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The journey is fun for sure, but I NEED a good ending haha

      Delete
  11. Too bad it didn't live up to your expectations. I know we've talked abut thus author before and my library has his books, so I better get a move-on, eh? I'll start with Hidden Pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the what could be tension! Often the not knowing or seeing is the scariest for me

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.